Position Title: Commis I / Range Chef
Reports To: Executive Chef or Sous chef
The Commis I Chef is responsible to prepare a consistent, high-quality food product, ensure courteous, professional, efficient and flexible service and Hotelsoperational standards. You will be also responsible for assisting CDP and Sous Chef in cooking and then ensuring that all stations are clean.
Additionally, He/ She is responsible to prepare special meals or substitute items, regulate the temperature of ovens, broilers, grills, and roasters etc. Pull food from freezer storage to thaw in the refrigerator and Ensure proper portion, arrangement, and food garnish.
Range Chef / Commis I Duties and Responsibilities:
- As a Commis, you are also expected to comply with the conditions of the food hygiene policies.
- Assist management in hiring, training, scheduling, evaluating, counselling, motivating and coaching employees serve as a role model.
- Accepting store deliveries are also part of the Commis I Chef duties.
- Coordinate and participate with other sections of requirements, cleanliness, wastage and cost control.
- Control food stock and food cost in his section/kitchen.
- Cook food and prepare top-quality menu items in a timely manner.
- Communicate assistance needed during busy periods.
- Commis I Chef are also required to ensure that all stocks are well maintained.
- Commis I also ensure that mise en place for food preparation is completed in your section.
- Ensure the quality of the food items.
- Ensure the highest standards and consistent quality in the daily preparation and keep up to date with the new products, recipes and preparation techniques
- Ensure and prepare mise-en-place for banquets and restaurant buffets as per the F.P
- Ensure the proper sanitation and cleanliness of surfaces and storage containers.
- Ensure constant innovation in buffet preparation and presentation.
- Follow and maintain cleanliness and good hygiene practices in the kitchen.
- Inform Chef of excess food items for use in daily specials.
- Inform F&B service staff of available items and available chef special menu.
- Keep work area at all times in hygienic conditions according to the rules setby the hotel
- Monitor the quality and quantity of food that is prepared.
- Operate kitchen equipment safely and responsibly.
- Prepare the daily mise-en-place and food production in different sections of the main pantry or satellites.
- Prepare and cook food according to recipes, quality standards, presentation standards, and food preparation checklist.
- Prepare fresh ingredients for cooking according to recipes/menu.
- Responsible to maintain food logs.
- Support the Demi Chef de Partie or Commis II in the daily operation and work.
- Test foods to ensure proper preparation and temperature.
- To be present in the assigned kitchen as and when required and also an internal transfer after 2-3 months in others as per management policy.
- To assist chef de partie in preparing food according to the requirements or recipes or standards, and the specifications for his department.
- To assist chef with chopping, packing and helping/learning with dishes.
- Attend the training being conducted and implement in daily operations and improve the quality of food.
- You would need to follow the cleaning schedules for the kitchen and clean the section and other areas as directed.
- Work according to the menu specifications by the Chef de Partie.
- Need to be flexible and willing to help other departments at busy times as and when required.
- Great teamwork skills and attention to detail.
- Positive outlook and outgoing personality.
- Able to take responsibility.
- Be Customer Focus first.
- A person who enjoys working in a lively, fast-paced environment, someone who lives his hobby and is passionate about cooking and food.
- This role requires the ability to move and lift up to 25 lbs.
- Standing, sitting or walking for extended periods of time and ensuring a professional appearance in a clean uniform are also required.
- Flexibility to work in any dining outlet is also necessary to assist as the business requires.
- High school education or diploma in culinary is required. Basic computerskills and familiar with inventory systems.
- Previous Hospitality and Catering industry experience working at a Commis I Chef level in a good-quality restaurant or 5 Star hotel.
- One to five years of minimum previous experience required in a high volumekitchen or full-service hotel.