Position Title: Commis III or Commis 3
Reports To: Commis II / Commis I
The Commis III chef will be assisting the Commis II and Commis I Chef as well as other kitchen employees in food production. Assisting kitchen staff in maintaining high cuisine standards for function clients as well as delegates. You will be also responsible for assisting CDP and Sous Chef in cooking and then ensuring that all stations are clean.
Additionally, He/ She is responsible to prepare special meals or substitute items, regulate the temperature of ovens, broilers, grills, and roasters etc. Pull food from freezer storage to thaw in the refrigerator and Ensure proper portion, arrangement, and garnish foods etc.
Commis III Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide the highest and most efficient level of hospitality service to the hotel guests.
- Works in the designated station as set by Executive Chef and/or Sous Chef.
- Able to organise the assigned work area and efficiently put away orders.
- Able to prepare and sells food within recommended time frames to meet Guest expectations.
- Able to operate kitchen equipment like braising pan, baking ovens, stoves, grills, microwaves and fryers.
- Able to produce a quality product in a timely and efficient manner for the guests or staff.
- Responsible to maintain cleanliness, sanitation at the assigned work area.
- Responsible for preparing and cooking all food items by the recipe and to specification.
- Prepare ingredients for cooking, including portioning, chopping, and storing food.
- Prepare all menu items by strictly following recipes and yield guide.
- Cook food according to recipes, quality standards, presentation standards and food preparation checklist.
- Prepares, seasons, and cooks a wide variety of meats, vegetables, soups, breakfast dishes and other food items.
- Slices, grind and cooks meats and vegetables using a full range of cooking methods.
- Wash and peel fresh fruits, vegetables and also able to weigh, measure and mix ingredients in correct proportions.
- Have general knowledge of cooking temperatures, making soups & sauces, preparing entrees, vegetable preparation and a la carte cooking.
- Set-up the station with par stocks of menu items, and prepare the dishes designated for that station.
- Checks supplies and prep lists and ensures all items are prepped in a timely fashion.
- Replenishes service lines as needed and restocks and prepares the workstation for the next shift.
- Ensures that all products are stored properly in the correct location at the appropriate levels at all times.
- Inform Chef of excess food items for use in daily specials.
- Keep work area at all times in hygienic conditions according to the rules set by the hotel.
- Communicate any assistance needed during busy periods and report any incidents to the Sous Chef to ensure optimum service to guests.
- Check and ensure the correctness of the temperature of appliances and food.
- Serve food in proper portions on to correct serving vessels and plates.
- As a Commis, you are also expected to comply with the conditions of the food hygiene policies.
- Accepting store deliveries are also part of the Commis III Chef duties.
- Coordinate and participate with other sections of requirements, cleanliness, wastage and cost control.
- Control food stock and food cost in his section/kitchen.
- Cook food and prepare top-quality menu items in a timely manner.
- Communicate assistance needed during busy periods.
- Ensure the highest standards and consistent quality in the daily preparation and keep up to date with the new products, recipes and preparation techniques
- Ensure and prepare mise-en-place for banquets and restaurant buffets as per the F.P.
- Follow and maintain cleanliness and good hygiene practices in the kitchen.
- Operate kitchen equipment safely and responsibly.
- Prepare and cook food according to recipes, quality standards, presentation standards, and food preparation checklist.
- To be present in the assigned kitchen as and when required and also an internal transfer after 2-3 months in others as per management policy.
- To assist chef with chopping, packing and helping/learning with dishes.
- Attend the training being conducted and implement in daily operations and improve the quality of food.
- You would need to follow the cleaning schedules for the kitchen and clean the section and other areas as directed.
- Work according to the menu specifications by the Chef de Partie.
- Need to be flexible and willing to help other departments at busy times as and when required.
- Great teamwork skills and attention to detail.
- Positive outlook and outgoing personality.
- Able to take responsibility.
- A person who enjoys working in a lively, fast-paced environment, someone who lives his hobby and is passionate about cooking and food.
- This role requires the ability to move and lift up to 25 lbs.
- Standing, sitting or walking for extended periods of time and ensuring a professional appearance in a clean uniform are also required.
- Flexibility to work in any dining outlet is also necessary to assist as the business requires.
High school education or diploma in culinary is required. Basic computer skills and familiar with inventory systems.
Previous Hospitality and Catering industry experience working at a Commis III Chef level in a good-quality restaurant or 5 Star hotel.