The knife is considered by chefs as their most valuable and versatile tool in the kitchen. It is a toll with of respect and when handled properly by an individual proficient in its use, can appear to be a thing of wonder.
The proper knife usage begins with good safety practices. Below are few basic rules of safe knife usage which need to be followed by the kitchen staff or chefs.
Top Rules for Safe Knife Handling in Kitchen
- First and foremost \’keep your mind on what you are doing\’!
- Always make sure the knife is sharp; A sharp knife is safer than a dull knife.
- Make sure to use the right knife for the job (List of knives used in the hotel kitchen).
- When carrying the knife make sure to hold it parallel to and right against your leg as you walk.
- Make sure to keep the handle of the knife is dry and clean at all time.
- Always keep the knife clean, dry and sanitised (if required).
- Make sure to cut on a cutting board or similar surface.
- Always cut away from yourself.
- Practice Proper Knife Holding Techniques.
- Practice Proper Knife Cutting Techniques.