- If you believe you are being harassed or bullied you should consider carefully if that is the case. If so you should raise the problem with the alleged perpetrator, point out that their behaviour is unacceptable and ask that it stop.
- If the harassment/bullying does not cease or if you find it difficult or if you find it difficult or embarrassing to confront the alleged perpetrator, you may seek advice from one of the contact people listed at the end of this section, from your trade Union representative, or from a Senior Manager.
- It would be useful to keep a record of incidents, dates and witnesses if any.
- If you proceed with the complaint, you may contact one of the contact people for assistance who, depending on the nature of the complaint, will try to find a solution acceptable to both parties.
- Complaints will be handled speedily and in a confidential manner.
- They will be treated seriously and sympathetically.
- It is a requirement that all individuals involved maintain confidentiality on the subject.
- All concerned are guaranteed a fair and impartial hearing.
- If a problem is not resolved under the above Complaints Procedure, the Formal Procedure outlined below will apply.
Formal Procedures for Handling Complaints:
- For serious complaints, individual preference or where the problem is not resolved under the procedures outlined above, the formal procedure will apply.
- The person making the complaint will be required to put the complaint in writing.
- The alleged harasser will be given a copy of the written complaint and given three days to respond in writing.
- A formal investigation will be carried out by the investigators from the panel listed below, not including the person who was trying to resolve the problem informally.
- In view of the complex and sensitive nature of cases, the investigator may also enlist the assistance of outside experts in the field concerned.
- It is a requirement that all parties involved maintain confidentiality.
- Both the complainant and the person complained against may have representation at the hearings if they so wish.
- The investigation will be carried out speedily, within a four-week period if circumstances allow.
- Both parties will be notified in writing of the outcome of the investigation.
The outcome of Complaint Filed:
1) Should management decide that the complaint is well-founded; the alleged perpetrator(s) should be given a formal interview to determine an appropriate course of action. Such action could, for example, involve counselling and/or monitoring or progressing the issue through the disciplinary and grievance procedure.
2) If either party is unhappy with the outcome of the investigation, the issue may be referred to the Rights’ Commissioner Service.
This policy will be reviewed from time to time.
You should contact the following people if you wish to discuss any incidents with regard to this policy ___________________________.
I have read and understand the contents of this policy:
Signed (Employee):______________ Date:___________
Signed (Employer):______________ Date:___________